A little while ago, we reported on a group of seven lodges in Western Canada that have joined forces to establish the Magnificent 7. These lodges are all individual, and independent and all have something unique and very special. We were tickled therefore by the following ‘facts’ they sent through the other day – do you believe them all?
7 Beary Interesting Facts About Polar, Grizzly and Black Bears…
Autumn is approaching and this means prime bear viewing season is upon us. All of us in the Magnificent 7 have a soft spot for these amazing creatures. In celebration of this time of year, we wanted to share 7 interesting facts about this wondrous species…
1. Polar bears can easily swim non-stop for 100km and can swim about 10km per hour.
2. Many historians believe that polar bears were used as bloody entertainment in ancient Rome.
3. Polar bears and grizzlies are now mating creating bears called Pizzlies or Grolars. This hybrid bear was first confirmed back in 2006.
4. Polar bears can weigh up to around 1500 lbs, grizzlies up to 800 lbs and black bears up to 600 lbs.
5. 75% of the grizzly and black bear diet is comprised of berries, leaves and nuts. The polar bear, on the other hand, mostly prefers seals.
6. The spirit bear is actually a black bear that carries a recessive gene making its fur a creamy white.
7. When US president Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a black bear on a hunting trip, a cartoon featured the event and the name ‘Teddy’s Bear’ was born.
For more information about these any other holidays to Canada, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us on 01323 446550, or take a trip to our website at www.wexperienceholidays.co.uk